Safety First! Must Read!

Trains,Planes & automobiles...If it rolls on wheels post em here

Moderators: ARMNhammer, Soiled, vice, Duke EeLLington, FFarg, MaC2o6

This Art Primo Forum is sponsored by Keep the Faith Magazine
This Art Primo Forum is sponsored by Keep The Faith Magazine
Please support our fine sponsors

Safety First! Must Read!

Postby bonquiqui on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Train yards are dangerous places. alot of sh*t is going on and ya gotta be aware of whats around you. Before even thinking of painting trains, read these threads.

OK, here we go again, this stuff is worth the hassle of retyping for all you freight aspirants. Before you even consider the mission, lighting, and chillness aspects of your fr8 work you need to know what's up with yards so you don't get killed. I will post a bunch of sub-topics as I think of them.
HUMPING. No, not that kind. In the fr8 world humping is a process used to break up trains and sort, or "classify", the individual cars and get them to the right tracks in a yard. Basically, the train is driven backwards a short distance, and they slam on the brakes. At the same moment a brakeman jogs alongside the moving train and throws a lever that uncouples a car or group of cars at the end of the train. These cars fly off on their own momentum down the track that has been selected for them, with no brakes, and they don't stop till they run out of inertia, or until they hit other cars parked on that line (the BOOM!!! sound you may hear from your local yard). Freight cars can safely collide at 5mph or less, they just lock onto each other at the coupler; sometimes a crew that's in a hurry to hump off a train will send them faster than 5mph, though.
This raises several safety issues: One, a train that is backing up, or cars that have been humped off, can run you down without you ever hearing an engine. In a dark or foggy yard, those drifting cars (called "ramblers") can go a surprising distance, and sometimes are very quiet despite their size, so they can sneak up on you. The danger is magnified if you are standing in a noisy spot (near another locomotive, or one of those reefer cars with the loud compressor running all the time, or anything else) that could mask the sound of an approaching rambler.
Two, you might be on or painting a car that gets hit by a line of ramblers. It will slam them into motion suddenly. If you're climbing on a car and don't have a good handgrip, you could become the next photo at www.deadtrainbums.com . When ramblers hit a motionless line, it's like a cueball hitting another ball in pool: the force gets transferred to the object ball, and when you're talking forty tons per car that translates into some serious slamming power even at low speeds.
So in general: assume EVERY track is live, that something may come at any time. NEVER climb underneath a freight car for any reason. If you have to cross a line, assume it could slam into motion any second. Don't climb over the coupler, cross using the handy ladders and walkways at the ends of most cars. If the car you want to cross doesn't have a walkway on the back, cross somewhere else. Don't stand in between cars in a line, or less than twenty feet from the last car in a line. Basically, don't stand ANYWHERE you could be hit if ALL the trains around you started moving at the same time. (This very thing has happened to me twice, once in Milwaukee and once in Pittsburgh.) Don't climb onto the tops of railcars. Don't attempt a big project involving ladders, like an e2e or wholecar, until you are a veteran of A) yards in general and the particular spot you want to try something ambitious at (and those projects are best reserved for chill, lonely layups, not yards).
A lot of this sounds pretty anal. You might already have prowled yards not knowing any of this and still not had a problem. The tricky thing is, 9 out of 10 times none of this sh*t will happen, but if you spend enough time in yards you will personally experience all of these things, and that 1 out of 10 can be fatal if you didn't know in advance. You can also get complacent after several uneventful trips. Don't do it. Be safe in the yards, and tell all your writer friends what you know about this.

Fixed: ffarg
A Rock wrote:Yee, maybe if bonquiqui puts his beer bottles together with your used tampons, you guys can run a mop company.

MBardz wrote:f*ck it. a mouth is a mouth.
bonquiqui

Re: Safety First! Must Read!

Postby vice on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:58 pm

no.

Put info here, not a link. That's not worth a sticky thread. Or even a thread.

i'm not tryin to be a dick.
godless wrote:we all know that girls are great and keeping secrets and never gossip about sh*t to their friends.
vice
VIP

Postby bonquiqui on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:55 pm

why copy someones info when i can give a link?
A Rock wrote:Yee, maybe if bonquiqui puts his beer bottles together with your used tampons, you guys can run a mop company.

MBardz wrote:f*ck it. a mouth is a mouth.
bonquiqui

Postby MaC2o6 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:12 pm

Less clicking for me.
SCOE wrote:sneaky ass telekenetic ability havin rice eatin foo.

GOSTE wrote:mac is my young graff hoppa haha..

oaktownshine wrote:yuh make yo famiry no proud

SCOE wrote:The asian sensation That's sweeping the nation.
MaC2o6
VIP

Postby vice on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:55 pm

because no one will go there and read it and your thread fails.
godless wrote:we all know that girls are great and keeping secrets and never gossip about sh*t to their friends.
vice
VIP

Postby Shaolin Ups on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Yeah, kinda useless thread.
LETS SEE SOME OF YOUR f*ckING TRAINS
3/4 of the people on this forum have never been in a yard anyway.
Shaolin Ups

Postby vice on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:09 pm

you're not allowed to call people out on sh*t dude.

you are still toy as f*ck, by your own admission. so it's not like i'm talkin' sh*t.

worry about you, and stop tryin to be a tough guy.
vice
VIP

Postby t-pain on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:19 pm

This thread is now owned by safety first.yes
t-pain

Postby SCOE on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Fat Squaddin on dat
SCOE
VIP

Postby FFarg on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Though this coulda been copied and pasted, I'll have to say the humping portion is very important, especially for you Seattle northenders. I know a couple of you are interested in freights and I've seen freight cars Rollin down the track all by themselves quiet as f*ck....so do yourself a favor and read it. Could save your life. Also Seattle does use remote controls on their engines sometimes so don't expect an operator to know your there if you see the front.
Ikarus wrote: I am essentially the best cop on here.
FFarg
VIP

Postby Mrs Writer on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 am

bonquiqui wrote:Train yards are dangerous places. alot of sh*t is going on and ya gotta be aware of whats around you.

This says it all
Mrs Writer
VIP

Postby t-pain on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 pm

wtf are u talking about mrs.writer that has nothing to do with safety first. tits or gtfo
t-pain

Postby TASK on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:32 pm

uugh.... i dont really like posts like this because it gives kids the impression that big active yards are the place to go. i feel they should only be a last resort. and for you kids starting out....forbidden. layups are much safer, less active, but you will have to be mindful.....dont be taggin sh*t around the layup, dont be leaving your cans (if your not using a can...keep it in your bag for a variety of reasons!), dont be climbing on trains, dont crush the entire layup(be satisfied with one good train), and be a f*cking ninja....stick to the shadows.
TASK
at hand

Postby Mrs Writer on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:57 pm

t-pain wrote:wtf are u talking about mrs.writer that has nothing to do with safety first.

Being aware of whats around you is the best and simplest safety advice
Mrs Writer
VIP

Postby vice on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:26 pm

he's trollin, talkin about the writer whose sh*t he posted.
vice
VIP

Postby vice on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:27 pm

TASK wrote:uugh.... i dont really like posts like this because it gives kids the impression that big active yards are the place to go. i feel they should only be a last resort. and for you kids starting out....forbidden. layups are much safer, less active, but you will have to be mindful.....dont be taggin sh*t around the layup, dont be leaving your cans (if your not using a can...keep it in your bag for a variety of reasons!), dont be climbing on trains, dont crush the entire layup(be satisfied with one good train), and be a f*cking ninja....stick to the shadows.

this
vice
VIP

Postby sur1 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:34 pm

for all you lovers out there, enjoy you valentines weekend

for the rest of you weak excuses that pass off as men will have to resort to this

safty first.
sur1

Location: where the bitches know bout my panentheism. gnome sayin?

Postby TheMadUnit on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:57 pm

Only Mac and Oak can read that. WTF.........

APFS leaving footprints in the concrete...............
TheMadUnit
VIP

Postby Ikarus on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 pm

TheMadUnit wrote:Only Mac and Oak can read that. WTF.........

actually, that's Japanese. I think oak n mac are diferent kinds of Asian, but I could be wrong.
AP FAT SQUAD GREEK BASTARD LEFTENANT!
Ikarus
VIP

Postby sur1 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:18 am

does it matter? the text is gonna be creepy anyways.

but at least you cant catch syphilis from this
sur1

Location: where the bitches know bout my panentheism. gnome sayin?

Next

Return to ROLLIN' CANVAS